Tuesday, March 9, 2010

International Women's Day

Most of you may not realize that March 8th is International Women’s Day. I had never heard of it until Africa so don’t feel too bad if you had never heard of it either. Last year, my small Guinean village didn’t celebrate it (sadly), whoever this year in Mali we did.

To start off all of the women from my work and I had traditional outfits made with festive fabric. I even went and got my hair braided, partly for the holiday and mostly because it’s too hot. On the morning of the 8th I was told to meet my work ladies by the parking place somewhere by a stop sign. I know real specific. So I find the stop sign I think I’m supposed to be at and hope for the best. There are tons of people there and I know there is no way I am going to find who I am looking for. At that point I am just relying on my white skin to stand out and for them to find me. I get bored of waiting so I start to wander around a bit and then some man comes up to me and grabs me by the arm and kindly leads me over to a bunch of chairs and tells me to sit. So I figure at least if I can’t find my friends at least I’m sitting in the shade.

Surprisingly enough they did find me and we all sat down together. I asked what was going on today since a huge stage was set up and a crowd was forming. No one had any idea. So we sat. Eventually my complimentary water baggie (yes they put water in square plastic bags here) showed up, followed by my free coke and then the most surprising thing of all, my free can of beer. Yes Castel (one of the “brewers” here) was publicizing a new beer and was handing out cans. Mind you, I’m still in a Muslim country where drinking is very much frowned upon. I had no idea what to do. Do I take it or not… Once the ladies next to me took their cans I figured it was ok. Its 10 o’clock in the morning and people are cracking open bottles of beer in public. That just never happens here. I’m looking at the can a little bit closer and I realize it is 0% alcohol. They handed my alcohol less beer. Now mind you, I don’t like Castel, it kind of tastes like pee, formaldehyde and what I imagine anthrax to taste like all in one. So I kindly just left my can on the ground to see a little kid run up and take it.

The events that day were 4 speeches in French that were given by different governmental men thanking women for all of their work around the house and in the community followed by 15 speeches given by different women all in bambara (local language that I can barely understand). I kind of fell asleep during those. Once all those speeches were over there was a skit that I once again couldn’t understand but gauging the laughter of everyone else it was hilarious.

Even though I didn’t understand the majority of what was going on (what else is new) March 8, 2010 turned out to be a great day honoring the women of Segou for all of their hard work.

No comments: