Monday, March 29, 2010

Frustrations, just another part of life

I got up early the other day to go to the bank since i was BROKE! Its a three mile trip one way so i got up an hour before the bank opened to bike out there and get in line early. Well, i get there about 7:35 to find the door still locked... Odd. The guard just looks at me and says "The banks closed for the holiday" I had no idea it was a holiday so I ask, what holiday. He tells me the 26th of March, duhh! I told him i didn't know the 26th of March was a holiday and he just tells me "Silly white girl, of course its a holiday. The bank opens at 8 tomorrow."

So i have to bike the 3 miles back home, still broke and frustrated. Somehow i had to survive on $0.12 for the day. Street food for me.

The next day, Saturday, i woke up early and made the same 3 mile trek out to the bank, AGAIN! This time i was greeted by 100 Malians wanting to withdraw money too. I was there, at the bank at 7:35 again and this time i surely wasn't the first one there. I went and pulled my number ticket and i was literally 100 people behind. AHHH, not an ideal way to spend a Saturday morning. But at least there is air conditioning, cold water, and i had a fully charged iPod in my pocket. I sat there for 4 hours. 4 HOURS!!! I don't know how it takes people so long to go to the counter, ask for money, count the money and sign a piece of paper?

The bank shuts and locks the doors at 11 and i don't get up to the counter until almost 1. I ask the man how much money i have, he tells me a sum way higher than i thought i had (SCORE!) and i take out what i need for the next month. Done and done. I was at the counter for less than two minutes. Now i got stuck biking back 3 miles in the hottest part of the day...

Every Monday is market day for Segou. So today i had the day off of work and thought I would go to the market and pick up some stuff I needed for my house. I slept in a bit, read a bit of my book and since the market doesn't get going until about 10, I thought I would stop by the Post Office.

Back in Guinea my mail came to my door step once a month. Every first Friday (following the first Monday) of the Month it was my little Christmas Day. However here in Mali I have to go to the post office. I find this a much more dissapointing method. I know I have at least 2 packages coming my way so i have been checking the post office regularly and have left empty handed many times.

Today I found out however that packages come in from Bamako on Tuesday and Thursday of every week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this week I finally get my packages.

Don't let this detur you from sending packages!!! I have NEVER (knock on wood) not gotten a package that was sent to me!

When I was done at the post office I didn't feel like fighting my way threw the crowds in the market so I went to my local boutique (shop) and bought some of the things that I needed.

Its just getting too hot and dusty to do anything anymore. So I biked home and contemplated what color turban I want to buy. (I ultimitly decided on green)

When I got home, it was time to burn my trash and clean my house. You would not believe how much dust i had in my house. I know everyone complains about dust, but we have small dust storms here everyday and when its so hot you have to leave your windows open and the dust just goes everywhere. Its rediculous!! But I cleaned, thats all that matters I guess.

Only 2 more months until i get to come back to America for a VACATION!

Thanks Aunt Mary and Uncle John, just got your letter today!! Loved the Easter Card!

No comments: