Sunday, April 26, 2009

update of mailing me stuff

Now that I have spent some time in country and everyone keeps asking me what are good package ideas or what do I need/want/like from them I thought I would take some time to update what are good ideas to send.

- Magazines (especially fashion mags, I can take the photos to the tailors and I can get CUSTOM made cloths TAILOR FITTED from the ads of Dior or JCPennys)
- Food (microwaves do not work when there is no electricity so nothing microwavable but easy mac/ramen/pasta with sauce are good) *Note I can easily get butter and eggs and stuff like that
-Beef Jerky (always a classic)
-Handheld games (something to kill the time)
-Movies (I still have my laptop so I can watch movies!!!)
-Granola Bars (makes a great breakfast, snack, treat to give little children)
-Instant Coffee/Late stuff (there coffee here is AWEFUL and the electricity is non-existent so no coffee maker, I.E. the powder you spoon into hot water to make "coffee") oh actually I should have my mom and dad (*wink wink*) send a French coffee press so I can make REAL AMERICAN COFFEE that way you could send specialty coffees (and yes I consider Folgers specialty right now)*We do have instant Nescafe powder here
- Books (the newer the better, there are a lot of books in country so older books are probably already in country)
- So far I’ve noticed people send can/packaged fruit. DON'T get me wrong I love it but I can get pineapple and oranges here a lot cheaper than you can send them. I got a really good apples and caramel packaged parfait thing. Delish!
- Snacky stuff is always a classic (at site I crave salty snacks so anything like crackers and cheese, pretzels, sunflower seeds, cheetos, cheese in a can... you get the idea)
- I'm going to start a garden here soon so seeds are always good. I've got some herbs but fruit's and veggies would rock too. (If you are wondering its hot here in Africa so if you would check to see if the plant can take the hot arid temps) oh a flower garden would be cute too...
- Make me a mix CD/cassette of your favorite songs. Really please do, I can not tell you how much Akon and Bob Marley I listen to here. Include song titles so I know the new song names and I don't have to just make them up.
- Little packets of Oreos or other cookies
- Deodorant (Its hot and I sweat, not joking)
- TV Shows (lord knows I like my TV shows and Guinea just isn’t cutting it so you should sent me your hot new favorite series)
- Photos of you and your loved ones (I’ve got a special wall in my house for photos that have been sent and right now that wall is pretty bear except for Molly, me and Nate and Aunt Bonnie, Uncle Wes, Matt, Kyle, and the soon to be bride Kristine)
- Cans of soup (I love cheesey potato with BACON!!!!!) and Ravioli
- A jump drive with music and podcasts (even TV shows and movies!) on it (if from iTunes, include your username and password so I can authorize use)
- M&M’s (they melt in your mouth, not in your hands) *LOVE Peanutbutter, Peanut, Almond, Dark Chocolate you name it…
- Hot chocolate mixes
-Any kind of pampering stuff (It’s rough living out “en brushe”)

**Be aware that you can do all of this stuff online at www.usps.com, including ordering free flat rate boxes, and printing postage. In fact, you get a 5% discount on the shipping fee if you do it online.**


I've heard horror stories from volunteers saying that they got entire packages of things that you can easly get in country and in order to prevent that i wanted to list somethings i can get here.
- Organic peanut butter (In fact, that’s the only type of PB that’s here)
- Instant Nescafe (we got it, so don’t send it)
- Sardines (I don’t eat them and they are here)
- Soap (actually the soap here smells good and is anti-bacterial)
- Spam (ok its knock off brand but its everywhere)
- Candles (yep, I can easily walk across the street and get candles even matches)
- Coca Cola
- Peanuts (or ground nuts as they call them in England)


Please refer to the November 18, 2008 MEGA-BLOG for more packing and mailing instructions as well as more ideas of gifts.

And one last thing a huge THANK YOU to everyone that has been sending me stuff.
Aunt Anne, Bubba, Nate and Cora- the pancakes/syrup AWESOME idea with the cinnomon and sugar, you rock
Uncle Tim and Mark - The books were great and i just finished the last one you sent last week
Aunt Peggy - still working on those People Cross Word Puzzles. I am determined to finish the book without looking in the back by the end of my two years here
Grams and Gramps - You guys are great with the cards and box. Needless to say the crackers were delish and have been long gone for a while (and the map is hanging on my wall)
Molly and Ginger- You know you rock and the pudding was a great idea, love the post cards too (they are hanging next to the photo of me, you, and that hubby of yours)
Aunt Betty and Uncle Dan - You guys know you are too much and thank you doesn't even cover it and i will have some happy neighborhood kids next week!!
Elizabeth- Loved the X-mas card and when i get back we WILL make good luck Turkeys
Aunt Bonney Uncle Wes, Kyle and Matt-You are one of two photos on my *SPECIAL (PEOPLE SENT ME PHOTOS) WALL* in my house
Aunt Mary and Uncle John- A little birdy told me that you send someone something to send me stuff. Thank you so much!
Mom, Dad and the little Kurt Cobain- You are AMAZING and i look forward to everything you send, mainly because i know you send what i want/need and your letters always cheer me up and make me laugh. SEND PHOTOS and a Coffee press ;)

No comments: