Monday, December 8, 2008

Last day of internet! OH NO!!!!

Well, today is my last day of internet until X-MAS but thats alright. I have been so busy and only getting busier that it will be ok. At least that is what i've been telling myself.


Yesterday I had my first survival course in Susue, the local langage of my host family that i will be moving in with tomorrow. Survival language... what do you think that means? I thought it would be like " Help me"or "What is that?" but no it was "hello, good day" "Good night"My name is Corinna" "I am an American" but i guess that phrase will get me far. I just hope that my french gets me through the family stay.


After our survival language class we had culture shock 101. In that, we were given instructions on how to use the bathroom (NO TOILET and NO SHOWER, AHHHHHHHH) how to boil the water and filter our water. What did i get myself into??? But, oddly enough, i feel ok about it. I know, so unlike me! But once you see the local and the poverty, you can't help but to adjust your ways.


We didn't have to get up early this morning (first time since i've been here) so last night we stayed in and played MAFIA. A card/murder mystery game. So much fun! This morning we woke up and since it is an Islamic holiday we have nothing to do. Around 10 I got up and stared to dip mosquito nets. I know, right! Yesterday, the PC gave us your medical kits and our mosquito nets and some chemical that needs to be applied on to the net.


On the roof top of the PC house we brought all of our nets and dipped them in a mixture of some chemical and water and had to hang them to dry. With 29 white nets hanging to dry in the African sun, it was so cool looking. It didn't take long to dip but it was cool.
Tomorrow, everything will change. We have been living in such a sheltered compound that once we move with the family culture shock will hit. In the PC house now, we have air conditioning, flushing toilets, running water, internet, pre-cooked food, and its beach front. Tomorrow, who knows what to expect?
I'll fill you in on Dec 25, when i'm back at the compound for Christmas. More photos and stories of me butchering language to come!!!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Corinna, I am so glad you made it safetly to Guinea and that you are doing okay with everything. I don't know if I could do what you are doing, but we are all so proud of you back here. You and Nathan can share shower stories once you both arrive back in the states. I hope all is well with you and look forward to reading your blogs to come. Love ya!

Unknown said...

oops sorry safely*** What the heck is wrong with my spelling?

Anonymous said...

TOLD YOU SO!!! I knew you have to do weird stuff and there would be no toilets!! You didn't believe me! I think this is good for you... when you come back you will WANT to go camping with me!

I mis you so much and wish you were here!!! I Love you and can't wait for you to come back!

Love,
Danie

Anonymous said...

Corinna, it's Christmas Eve and I've been missing you like crazy. Even though I usually didn't see you on Christmas Eve I knew that when I woke up in the morning I would have a call from you asking what I got, and I would tell you we hadn't opened anything yet! I'm going to miss that call :( I'm so excited for you and this adventure you're on but it's going to be a long 2 1/2 years without you. I'm always hearing things and thinking, "oh I need to tell Corinna that" and then I remember I can't, at least not right away. I'm going to start writing a letter, but it will be awhile before I send it, I want it to be a long one! I'll probably wait to send it until after Ella is born,(which could be any day now actually) and I'll send a picture of my very first niece! I miss you everyday. I love you, Merry Christmas.
-Lori