Thursday, December 4, 2008

I'm in GUINEA!!!

Well all,

I made it. I am officially a Peace Corps Trainee!!!! I'm sitting in Conakry right now, after the longest day of my life. On Wed I woke up in Philly at 5:30 to make check out by 6:30, went and had Starbucks for the last time (in a while) and then went and get my Yellow Fever Vaccination along with my Malaria pills. Then sat on a bus to NYC to fly out of JFK. Since our bus got into JFK about an hour early everyone had to unload our bags and move them inside only to have to shuffle them around for an hour because of security....

By the time I got on the plane for my eight hour flight i was dead to the world. Another girl in our PC group was my seat mate (thankfully I had the aisle) but she wanted to move so i ended up with the two seats to myself. SCORE!!! I also got to watch the Dark Knight. Rock on South African Air!

Landed in Dakar Senegal around 6am local time and followed the rest of the group around the airport until I sat my butt on a plane seat and flew to Guinea.

By the time we landed in Guinea everyone was crazy tired but there was a nice group of other volunteers to welcome us. They had their cameras out and posters everywhere, it made me feel like the true celebrity I am.

Anyways, we gathered all of our luggage and loaded up some buses to take us to the PC house. The drive over was so surreal. There really is no way to describe it. No word in the English Dictionary (even French for that matter) could sum up what it was like to step off the plane in 95 F weather and be in Guinea. It was everything I expected yet nothing at all like what i thought.

Can you believe it, I'm actually here!

With love,
Corinna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yayyyyyyy! My fave part about your blog was..."Like the celebrity I really am." :-)

I'm so proud of you!!!! Way to follow your dreams!!!

~J.P.~