Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I MADE IT THROUGH STAGE

For all of you know are not up on your PC lingo (Peace Corps language) stage is the first 2 months in country that entails all sorts of craziness. For instance, you move in with a family, you go to class in 100 degree heat outside, you struggle through all kinds of crazy language problems (i.e. you can’t speak Sous-sous and your family doesn’t speak French), you eat crazy food and you are busy 24-7. Well its OVER!!!!

This morning I woke up, finished packing and gave my gifts to my family. Oh man were they a HUGE hit. I had gotten a calendar of the US National Parks, a few beanie babies, a few matchbox cars, a few base ball caps from my dad’s work, and a photo album. They acted like it was Christmas day, they were so excited! *DAD- your AMP hats were a HUAGE hit. They haven’t taken them off. Once the excitement of the gifts had worn off a bit, it was photo time. You have not seen anything until you see Guinean children have a change to have their photos taken. It is like feeding time at the zoo! Kids come out of the wood work that I have never even seen to get their photos taken.

Today was the official end of STAGE! We had our going away ceremony today where we said goodbye to our families, dressed in African outfits and tried to sing in French. OK so my African outfit… well it turned out to be a crazy mess. Don’t get me wrong, I love it, but it is crazy. OK so imagine me, in a dress, which looks like you crewed 4 yellow skittles, 2 orange skittles and 1 red skittle in your mouth and spit it into a napkin, and then make an entire fabric out of it. Yes I was the loudest one dressed in the room. My outfit demanded attention, but really when don’t I? But the Guineans loved it, so I am “bien integre” (well integrated in French)

After the ceremony, we loaded the bus and cars with all of our stuff. Imagine this, 29 volunteers with a minimum of 4 bags each loading all of that stuff to survive in Africa for two years in/on 2 cars and the bus. CRAMPED! Then we drove to the capital, never to see Foricariah again. Which I am absolutely not upset about. Don’t get me wronge, I’m just ready to be on my own here.

No comments: